Tuesday, August 31, 2021

Another recipe recommendation - chicken shawarma

I tried this recipe & it was really great. Highly recommend. I made it with chicken breasts (that's what I had on hand), but will try the thighs next time around. 

I made the recipe as is, and found that the toppers were a critical component. We had:

  • Feta
  • Diced tomatoes & cucumbers
  • Lettuce 
  • Cilantro (a lot in the garden)
  • Tzatziki sauce (we bought some from Trader Joes & it was leftover, thus the inspiration for the dish)
  • Diced red onions
I marinated the chicken overnight, and next time will double the quantity of chicken, so we can have a lot of leftovers. 

Enjoy!

12 comments:

  1. Yum! I think shawarma is my favorite new recipe!
    I love this recipe:
    https://www.havocinthekitchen.com/shawarma-inspired-skillet-chicken/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That recipe looks great, and different flavors than the one we tried. I'll check it out as well!

      Delete
  2. Sounds very interesting, thank you for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's delicious. I wouldn't have expected the cinnamon, but it was really good

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing this recipe. I love shawarma. Since I have yogurt and a lot of cucumbers I might have to use this as a substitute right away for one of my meals this month!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds really delicious. I saw on some show that after marinating the chicken, they cooked it really tight together on skewers, then sort of sliced like they do gyro meat, so the extra thins slices. Both ways soudn so good. Of course, no ciantro for me the soap taster, but the rest would be fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cilantro was my own add in, because I'm trying to use it up. You definitely don't need it.

      Delete
  5. I love shawarma. I tried a similar recipe recently & did not care for it. The spice mix was really good, but to me shawarma is cooked/roasted on a giant vertical rotating skewer. Then the meat carved into thin slices. I didn't care for the oven version. Maybe I'm just picky, because I grew up eating shawarma in a different way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love gyro meat (prepped as you described), but this has the flavors of shawarma dish, but agree on the meat prep/texture.

      Delete
  6. This is definitely going to be made.... Sounds wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete