Sunday, August 8, 2021

Produce stand shopping, garden harvesting & other Sunday things.

I went to the produce stand yesterday, & was so surprised by the (low) prices. It's definitely the right time of year to be produce shopping in our area. I've largely avoided the produce stand during COVID. It's actually indoors, and very packed. 

I picked up the following, for a total of $6.77:

  • A giant head of organic cauliflower - $.99
  • A bunch of radishes - $.49
  • Green onions - $.33
  • A head of celery - $.69
  • 2 lbs of Persian cucumbers (I can't get these to grow) - $2.84
  • 1.5 lbs of organic red plums - $1.43
It's so nice to fill in our garden bounty with other local items. Speaking of our garden, I harvested a lot yesterday:

Serrano peppers (gave these away on Buy Nothing, as we have so many others that are also ripe):






We enjoyed the shishitos with dinner (blistered on the barbecue - yum) last night. I need to pickle the rest of the peppers. And, potentially make pickles with all of those cucumbers!

The birds continue to knock unripe tomatoes off of the plant, so I bring them in to ripen, in case you're wondering why I'm picking unripe tomatoes. I'm not, my "friends" the crows have other ideas. ;-) 

Here's what else we're up to today:
  • Vacuuming
  • Cleaning the kitchen
  • Prep the patio area (we're having one friend over to swim today - first time in two years. They are vaccinated).
  • Pickle peppers
  • Make tacos
  • Pick up (free) ice cream cake via Fetch 
  • Laundry
  • Work out

What about you? What are you up to today? 

11 comments:

  1. Oh wow, what great prices from your local produce stand. And a bounty from your own garden too. It’s so nice of you to share with others.

    I’ve done 3 loads of laundry this morning and folded 4 loads. Now I have to put it all away. I’m working on cleaning up the kitchen too and putting some groceries from yesterday.

    I hope you have a very good Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you have a productive day ahead, Belinda!

      Delete
  2. Love the produce! Fell in love with grilled shishito peppers in Spain, and enjoy them here as often as I can.

    Home from a 10 week yesterday, so much laundry occurred, plus unpacking, washed our travel teailer, and sorted through mail. It was a productive but tiring day!I

    Today I cleaned up the front yard, now off to shower and enjoy our first indoor spiritual gathering since COVID. Then we are planning to visit our wine club winery, pick up fresh wild salmon to grill for dinner, and read. Started Dr. Zhivago for my book club and it's good but looong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds so nice! We went to Trevors on the Tracks at your recommendation, and loved it! I keep meaning to tell you.

      Delete
    2. That whole section of SJC is so much fun! We belong to the winery across the small street from Trevor’s- RCW.

      Delete
  3. I am always in awe of the prices of your fresh product there. Of course it makes sense that if it's grown there and doesn't have to be shipped, it would be less costly than here. It would be 4 to 5 times more here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun swimming here and at your place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so strange to have guests over again. Just my friend & her son, and we've carpooled with them already for soccer. But, we haven't had guests (outside of my parents) to our house in so, so long!

      Delete
  5. Fresh tomatoes are the absolute best.I can't think of another veggie item that taste so difference fresh vs from the store.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum, what a pepper haul. You are going to be very busy.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete