Sunday, November 20, 2022

All of the pomegranates

 M planted a pomegranate tree when we moved in, and it's an amazing producer, now that we're on year 4+. Unfortunately, we got a lot of rain this year (well, it was super fortunate for the drought, but pomegranates do not like big swings in moisture), and many of them started to crack. 

I've picked about 4 Home Depot sized buckets of pomegranates this week. One bucket needed to be tossed, as they were split far enough that they couldn't be used. Others had just minor cracks, and the seeds inside were still protected. 

We've given lots away to friends & neighbors, and M has been busy deseeding them each evening. We all love the arils, so they've been a big hit. The tree runs off of a drip irrigation system, so it's very inexpensive & a very high ROI plant.


We'll see how far M gets into this pile tonight. We have pomegranate martinis every year on Thanksgiving, so the timing is perfect!


11 comments:

  1. That is a lot of pomegranates. Hope the martinis are a go.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds so fun. Cheers on the martini.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When my friend gave me pomegranates, she gave me three to try and two were split completely open! I told Tommy to toss them, but they are still sitting here. So, I will trash the two and use the other. I had broccoli salad from a deli that was wonderful with arils. Then, I bought arils in the grocery that had crunch like a tiny seed. It was awful. Do yours have this tiny seed in the arils?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The arils of all pomegranates contain juice around a smaller "seed". They all have them. Maybe some are less noticeable than others?

      Delete
  4. I seriously love pomegranates! You have your own tree? That’s amazing! I haven’t had any this year, but I’m anxious to get to the store now to get some. Enjoy your martini!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh the martinis sound wonderful., I love pomegranates!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is an amazing bounty! I looove pomegranates, and they are currently so expensive in the market! I hope they bring you all much aril joy. 😊

    Tamara

    ReplyDelete
  7. Best Christmas salad, pomegranate seeds, fennel sliced thin, toasted nuts and a lemon poppyseed dressing. So fresh and festive and a great palette cleanser.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never had a pomegranate.

    ReplyDelete