Friday, November 11, 2022

Frugal Friday

Well, our trip to Dubai to visit M's family is a go (and, exceptionally pricey for four people, to boot), but we did what we could to offset some of the cost. As Anne said last week, sometimes frugality is less about every dollar spent, and more about ensuring your money is being prioritized in the way that you value. 

Saving on things we buy

  • I used United upgrade points to try & upgrade me + M to business class. I do not enjoy an international flight in economy, so fingers crossed. Additionally, signed the boys up for United frequent flier numbers, so they can also accrue miles on the flight. I haven't yet, even though we've flown them a few times. The international flight is definitely worth the miles, though. 
  • I used Hyatt points to cover one hotel room. We need to book a few for family members, and I found a discount code that worked for the place we're staying. Luckily, the hotel is pretty reasonable. 
  • Used $650 of United travel credits that Sam, Nick & I had to offset part of the ticket costs. 
  • Nick needed new pants (it's cool here, and he's grown a lot since last year), so I used a gift card to cut the costs down. 
  • I also used a combination of gift cards & rewards to pick up a few Christmas gifts. 
  • Picked up two containers of oat milk, with an iBotta reward, saving $4.

Earning money

  • I've continued to work, which on weeks like this... is a mental game with myself to continue! 
  • Sold an old fitness tracker on eBay. 
  • Listed the last of my husband's outgrown clothes on eBay. 

Avoiding spending

  • Our grocery store was giving away pumpkins, after Halloween. I picked up two large pumpkins to roast & turned 1/4 of it into muffins. I pureed & froze the rest. 
  • For M's Christmas gift, I booked two nights in a hotel, using points exclusively. 

Eating what we have

  • Inadvertently fasted after a workout, and was starving for lunch & rummaged through the fridge. Remembered the last piece of leftover lasagna, so had that for brunch. 
  • After we attended an anniversary party, the host sent me home with leftovers from the venue. I took a small box and that became lunch one day. The leftover samosas were particularly delicious. 
  • Had leftover taco meat on a salad for lunch one day. Even remembered to use the last of the shredded cheese.
  • Made pesto for a recipe, and used a ton of garden basil, shredded parmesan left over from a bagged salad, and 1/2 a lime I found in the fridge. I didn't have pine nuts, so subbed walnuts that I found in the pantry. It was super close to "free", minus the olive oil. 
  • Picked up a rotisserie chicken at Costco (still so inexpensive), & used some for a recipe, and froze the rest of the chicken. Also made chicken broth out of the bones, which I used for the recipe with pesto, above. 
For others

  • On our local Buy Nothing group, someone was looking for an old phone for a food bank. I was able to find one of ours, and I signed up to volunteer at the food bank. I'm interested in dabbling in some volunteer options, until I find some that are a great fit when I leave my job. 
  • Gave away the boys outgrown pants. There is always a lot of demand for teen boy clothes, as they can't wear them often. I've been the recipient of some really nice things, so I also like to pay it forward. 
That's it from our side. What about you? Any wins to share?

11 comments:

  1. I think your whole family will find the travel cost worth every penny. Well done on your other saves. Old eye glasses and cell phones sure go to good use when donated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the trip will be fabulous for everyone. My MIL is worried that the ongoing strife in Iran will result in last minute cancellations, so fingers crossed that doesn't happen.

      Because the trip is such a big expense, it's been a good reminder to cut costs elsewhere.

      Delete
  2. I sure would've loved to have attended that party for those samosas :) You've had lots of great wins this week. I hope you get upgraded. I agree. Economy is no fun on international flights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, same. The samosas were delicious. I managed to avoid the dessert, but brought a piece of cake home for Sam. I opted for wine vs cake.

      Fingers crossed on the upgrade. We are #1 and #2 on the list, and I have high status, and am using their points upgrade system. It's new to me, so unless someone with global services books after me, and/or they happen to sell every business class seat, it will hopefully work. The boys are back in economy. ;-) But, they are teens who can sleep anywhere. I hope.

      Delete
  3. That’s so nice of you to offer up the boys pants to someone who can use them. I used to do that when Bailey was still growing. Sounds like you had a great frugal week, getting to use some gift cards and airline miles to reduce the cost of your trip. Sounds like it will be an adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find that teens grow so quickly, and pants are worn so infrequently around here, that they need them yearly, but they are often in great shape when we give them away.

      It's definitely going to be an adventure on the trip!!

      Delete
  4. I am trying to get my mind around this points fly thing and just signed Hubs up for his own # as he will be traveling with e alot in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a lot of optimization strategies for miles. "thepointsguy" website can be helpful, depending on what you are trying to do.

      Delete
  5. I always say that being frugal is so that we have the cash to do the things that we enjoy. Dubai is going to be great.

    You did very well on your other savings.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so happy and excited for your family and for M’s family to be able to see the boys and y’all! That is so fabulous!!!! Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dubai sounds wonderful! So great that you were able to cut the costs a little there. And you’re right…some things are absolutely worth the extra expense, especially family.

    ReplyDelete