Friday, November 4, 2022

Frugal Friday

 It's a two week edition, as I missed last week. It most certainly wasn't a frugal week, but I'll share the things we did to save a bit here & there. 


Saving on things we buy

  • Christmas flights are incredibly expensive this year, but I used a few options to save money. I split the reservation into two, and used a companion fare (credit card perk) to save $400 off of one flight. I also used the last of my Alaska flight credit for those two tickets, reducing my out of pocket spending. I was hoping to buy more Alaska gift cards on Costco (they are 10% off, and I get a credit card rebate), but they are no longer selling them.
  • Used an Uber reward to save $5 on our trip back from the airport. Our departure flight was very early, and our return flight was very late, so we opted for Uber, vs having one of the boys or my parents drive us. 
  • Picked up lunch stuff for the four of us (my parents, myself & Sam), so we could avoid eating out. 
  • Used a $2 Panera reward, to take Sam to brunch. There was a glitch with our order, so we also ended up getting free drinks, which was a nice bonus. 

Earning money
  • Sold another of M's outgrown jackets on eBay. They are all the same (slightly different sizes/colors) & I've been blown away at how consistently they sell, and at a pretty high price. I'll get the last one listed this week. 
  • Sold a gift card on Raise.

Avoiding spending
  • I took M & Nick to the airport for their soccer adventure, and picked them up, avoiding the cost of another Uber.
  • Used the last of a Target gift card + rewards to pick up a few things on vacation

Eating what we have
  • Ate random leftovers throughout the week, including orange chicken for breakfast one day, & an orzo salad (Trader Joes lunch leftover) for another breakfast. If I'm really hungry after a workout, almost anything works. 
  • I also had chicken curry on toast for breakfast one day, making the most of random fridge items my parents left behind.
  • Used up the dregs of a jar of marinara (I think my parents used some of it for lasagna), to make spaghetti & meatballs.
  • Made garlic bread out of leftover sandwich rolls for Sam (M & I don't need any) to go with the spaghetti & meatballs. 
  • My parents prepped a few meals when they were here, and left them in the freezer for us. I used the lasagna for a quick dinner on Tuesday. 

For others

  • Kicked off another short term mentoring relationship at work. I participate in several programs that help senior folks from under represented backgrounds during their first few months at work, when they are building their networks & just trying to figure out how to ramp up. 
  • I've been trying to slow down yet another work mentorship program, as I'm pretty swamped at the moment, but they needed a senior female, and there were none available. So, one more before I wrap up at work. ;-) 
What about you? Any wins to share?

10 comments:

  1. Your giving of your time is such a gift. I hope to do more mentoring as I move closer each year to retirement. Using up leftovers isn't exciting, but avoiding the waste is a good feeling and good on budgets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely my favorite part of work. And yes, leftovers aren't exciting, but they are a giant time saver, not to mention a money saver.

      Delete
  2. Yikes, I was worried about expensive flight this year , I had better check thankyou!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So wonderful that you are sharing your time and talent as a mentor.

    Lots of wins in your list.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoy mentoring. I have to remember to not over commit, because I tend to want to say "yes", a lot, and then struggle to get through all of my commitments. But, it's a lovely experience for me as well.

      Delete
  4. The thing about frugality is not necessary about money saved, but it about using your money the best way you can. It sounds like you are doing that very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! I thought of this several times today, as money feels to be slipping away at a lightning pace, but planned purchases. They tend to come in fits & spurts though, don't they?

      Delete
  5. I love what Anne said. It's spot on! Yikes, I'd better check flights right away. I'd like to go visit my family if DS and I end up alone for Christmas. At this point I don't even know what our holidays will be like this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed that you can find inexpensive flights, & have a great holiday together!

      Delete