Friday, November 18, 2022

Frugal Friday

 We've been working on eating things out of the freezer, as ours became overly full very quickly! Progress is being made. We also had a bunch of late nights with work this week, & easy meals were a requirement. 

Saving on things we buy

  • I picked up a few items I needed for a holiday bread I make, and earned an iBotta reward for the yeast. Planned the purchase around the 3x points offer that the grocery store had going, and while I was there, picked up the Friday Freebie. 

Earning money

  • Found $.15 on the ground, at various kids sporting events. ;-) 
  • Earned a bit back from Rakuten, for online purchases over the quarter. It wasn't much, but will go towards offsetting a holiday purchase. 

Avoiding spending

  • It's hard to find the right items to fit the boys, at this current phase. I picked up some winter wear, and not everything fit. I returned it right away, although, I just discovered they charge a shipping return fee. Moving forward, I'll suck it up & go to *shivers*, the mall to return the items. 

Eating what we have

  • I made M a cauliflower crust pizza (base purchased at Trader Joes), & used a bunch of fridge/freezer remnants to make the pizza (marinara sauce, cheese leftover from Philly cheese steaks, pepperoni from the freezer). He reports that the pizza was fantastic.
  • Remembered that we still had a bit of fancy cheese leftover from my parents visit, so got that out for a Friday night "happy hour", and served it with the last of a package of crackers.
  • M took all of the arils out of the pomegranate I picked. I need to bring more in. 
  • I finished off the last of the chicken pesto pasta for lunch
  • Made Saturday's dinner out of items on hand (burger patties + buns in the freezer)
  • Remembered to defrost naan bread, for our chicken shawarma dinner. 
  • Used a few freezer items for dinner one night: Trader Joes orange chicken, fried rice & edamame. It cleared out quite a bit of freezer space.

For others

  • Showed Sam how to sign up for a volunteer opportunity at a food bank. Teaching the teens life skills often takes some work, the first go 'round. :)
  • I am also volunteering at a food bank for four hours this week.
  • Offered to take a box of corporate swag that was going to the garbage. Parsed it out, and found a charity excited to take mens dress socks, hats & all of the new tshirts. Gave away the wipe board & pen packs on Buy Nothing. Recycled the giant boxes. 
What about you? Any wins to share?


7 comments:

  1. I can relate to the teaching life skills. I didn't do a great job with oldest, but better with second. Now youngest has room for improvement. Great job getting the food used and for delicious meals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really a conscious effort at times, and sometimes I just forget!

      Delete
  2. Great job! I love cauliflower pizza, and TJ has one of best bases! As for my frugal wins...nothing to report. I've been eating a lot of soup recently.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those volunteer hours will help with scholarships when he applies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He enjoys it, and it's good for him to see another side of life.

      Delete
  4. Love all of your points offers! And yes, we're at a very narrow waist, but needing a lot of length phase. And, oversized hoodies. A year or so ago, I went with mens size medium soccer uniforms, and they haven't outgrown them yet. I hope they last for the rest of our club soccer time.

    ReplyDelete