Friday, December 16, 2022

Frugal Friday

It was a wild week, but we made it! We're deep into finals prep, as well as school soccer, and it's an incredibly busy time for me at work. Here are our frugal wins for the week. 

Saving on things we buy

  • Used a $20 grocery store reward to pick up a few things we need. 

Earning money

  • Sold a shirt on eBay

Avoiding spending

  • After a very cold, windy & rainy early morning soccer game on Saturday, I was mighty tempted to stop by the Starbucks we passed on the way home. But, I stayed strong & came home & had a cup of tea. 

Eating what we have

  • Used a package of spinach from the freezer to make spinach dip. Everyone loved it, and it got an item out of the freezer that had been there forever! 
  • Ate a single portion of chicken curry for lunch one day
  • I made two loaves of cardamom bread for Christmas, but one stuck to the pan & broke in half. We've been slowly eating it (without the glaze). It's delicious toasted, with a bit of butter. Waste not, & all that. 
  • I also got out a Taiwanese pancake type of dim sum from the freezer, and made a couple of those to go with another dinner. (It's on my "use it up" freezer list). There were a few in the package, but it made a really filling snack for the boys, and I'll finish it off soon.
  • Also defrosted lasagna my dad made when he was here, as yet another "get it out of the freezer" meal, which had the helpful bonus of feeding us on a late soccer game night. 
  • Made a nice crockpot pulled pork dish on Sunday, but thought it was a bit soggy, so on the second serving, broiled it off a bit (similar to how I make carnitas) & liked it much more. 

For others

  • Attended a call for the college advisory board I'm on
  • Carpooled a bunch of high schoolers to an away soccer game, saving other parents time
What about you? Any wins to share?

4 comments:

  1. Nice wins especially the use it up food saves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm focused on cleaning out the freezer. I'm making some progress, at least!

      Delete
  2. You did a great job using up the bits from the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I go through nice "use it up" phases, and I'm in one now. I need to take advantage of the energy while I have it!

      Delete